14 May 2008

NEW YORK TRIP - anthropologie

my new york photo reports continue today with a trip to anthropologie. there are three stores in manhattan and i found the one at the rockerfeller plaza on 5oth street to be the calmest and best one to visit, the 85 fifth avenue store was a lot busier. anthropologie is part of the same company as urban outfitters and was founded to take urbans customers to 'the next stage of their life'. i.e aimed at 30-40 year old women with lots of money to spend. because they dont advertise they plow a lot of money into the looks of their stores, hence the merchandising and window displays are spectatcular. good news for those of us in the UK, i was reliably informed that they are planning a london store soon. i took loads of pics, in fact i had to edit these down, but be warned this post is still pretty long.

13 comments:

Heather Moore said...

So nice to have you back. For some reason you fell off my bloglines feed, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Interesting to see how very pretty and feminine the Anthro stuff is. It's quite oddly retro, in a less graphic way to what I think of as retro.

Georgia said...

I love anthropologie; their catalogues are just stunning to look at. I haven't actually been into one of their stores (too scared at what I'd "have" to get), but I am sorely tempted after these wonderful photos.

Anonymous said...

Great photos!
Do you take them "under cover" or do you ask permossion first? I often want to take photos in shops for research purposes, but I'm scared of being thrown out for being wierd! Have you had any embarrassing experiences?

samantha hahn said...

I love Anthro colors and patterns...so beautiful.

bowie style said...

hi anon,
no all the photos are taken covertly - otherwise they'd be a lot better quality if i had time to plan and focus properly :)

PhatSheep Textiles said...

wow I love nearly all of it! I am amazed you didn't buy out the whole store, must have been very tempting:)

bowie style said...

phatsheep,
even with the weak dollar i still found anthro really expensive. plus i only could only buy a small amount that would fit in my suitcase. but i get some of the folk floral glasses and thomas paul notepads.

Lea said...

What a beautiful colourful blog!! I absolutely love all of the pictures. Especially the bird motif ones. It's something that's very 'in' right now. Love the light shades. So unique and pretty. Great blog!!

Lea xx

Anonymous said...

it's definitely one of my favourite stores. we also dont have it in Canada. all the more interesting.
there clothes and accessories are fantastic too!

Michelle said...

Nice finds all around! I haven't browsed in there lately and now I shall have to!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous shop! Can't wait for one to opne here, great pics too.

Gillian Mowbray said...

What a wonderful diversity. So nice to see. Thank you for your inexhaustible supply of images. x

Anonymous said...

i used to work at this location and it was such a wonderful inspiration to be surrounded by such creativity on a daily basis. technically photos weren't allowed but i was the employee who turned my head or waited until after someone took the photo to tell them 'the policy'
you got some nice shots, makes me miss the place! just a little...