Are you an emerging designer ready to make it big in the surface pattern design world? This is an incredible opportunity to win a design scholarship worth over $2000 to help you on your way! Sponsored by Print & Pattern, the Make it in Design Scholarship will provide you with access to over a year’s worth of top design courses, access to top trend site WGSN and a host of exciting promotional opportunities.
One person will win the following:
- A free place on all 4 modules of The Art and Business of Surface Design (M1: Designing your way; M2: Creating your professional identity; M3: Monetising your designs) and The Ultimate Portfolio Builder
- 180 days’ free access to WGSN
- The opportunity to be featured on the Print & Pattern blog, in MOYO Magazine and on the Make it in Design sitePREVIOUS WINNERS
Previous winners have found this scholarship to be a huge boost to their careers. Last year the standard was so high that 3 LUCKY winners were finally chosen and a further 7 runner up prizes were awarded. Read the winners announcement.
We recently caught up with all three winners from last year. Here's a reminder of the winning designs and a link to their latest interview.....
"The information and industry insight have been invaluable. The course is really well designed and thought out with easy to follow exercises. There are technical workshops with step-by-step instructions, design resources for inspiration and a very supportive community with like-minded creatives." Read Nina's full interview.
"When you’re working from home, alone, it’s almost impossible to gauge your progress and get feedback. Thanks to my ABSPD classmates, I now have a fantastic network of friendly names around the globe that I know I can bounce questions and ideas off. The Make it in Design community is a very rich source of advice, opportunity and inspiration." Read Mimi's full interview.
"I love how the course pushes you to find your unique voice. It emphasises the importance or trying different approaches and working out of your comfort zone once in a while. I’ve come to realise that my favourite designers all have highly recognisable styles, and this course encourages you to find your own." Read Shannon's full interview.
The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design has proved to be a wildly popular course and has seen it’s alumni go on to launch their own design studios, win national awards, land exciting licensing deals, be featured in design books, on leading blogs, and more!
The applications will be shortlisted by Rachael Taylor and Beth Kempton, co-founders of The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design, and the final decision on the winner will be made by Marie Perkins, aka Bowie Style author of the Print & Pattern blog. The judges will be looking for originality, sense of colour, awareness of trend and overall quality of design.
HOW TO ENTER
Send the following to email@example.com by midnight GMT on Thursday 31 December 2015 with ‘P&P Scholarship Application’ in the title of your email:
- Your full name, country, email address and website/blog link if available
- Max 100 words about why you are interested in surface pattern design as a career path (feel free to include reference to any experience you have – but don’t worry if you don’t have any experience!)
- Max 100 words about why the course would be valuable to you (all text to be included in the body of your email, not as an attachment)
- Two images of patterns you have designed (sent as a 550px wide square jpg attachment)
- FILE NAMING: please put your full name and pattern name (if there is one) into the JPG file name – example: Rachael-Taylor-Sunburst.jpg
THE SMALL PRINT
By submitting a scholarship application you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Applications not submitted in accordance with the guidelines above will be rejected
- The scholarship is open to anyone aged 18 or over from anywhere in the world
- Applications must be made in English
- If the winner has already taken one or more modules of The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design they may choose to either skip or retake that module. However, the prize is not transferable and no cash alternative is available. However, if the winner is registered for any future course (January 2016 or later), their class fee will be reimbursed
- Modules must be taken in succession as follows: Module 1 – February 2016; Module 2 – April 2016; Module 3 – September 2016' The Ultimate Portfolio Builder March 2017
- Access to WGSN will be granted at the end of Module 3 and The Ultimate Portfolio Builder
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- By submitting your work you agree to be featured online or in print by Rachael Taylor, Do What You Love, Make it in Design, MOYO, Print & Pattern or any other third party chosen by Rachael Taylor and/or Beth Kempton in relation to this opportunity, at any time now or in the future. In such an instance no fees will be payable for the inclusion of your work in any promotional materials relating to the course
- There is no fee payable to enter
- You will retain all rights relating to your images
• Deadline for submitting applications: Midnight GMT on Thursday 31 December 2015
• Announcement of winner: Friday 15 January 2016
• Module 1 class starts for winner: February 1 2016
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
PREVIOUS RUNNERS UP.....
below : ANNE LEHMAN
Below : METKA HITI
Below - TJARDA BORSBOOM.
Below : Kathleen Uno.
Below : ANNETTE HEIBERG
Below : JOSEPHINE KIBUKA
Below : CLARE LOVEDAY